The Private Equity Search interface is comprised of over 20 different search options and is organized into four sections.
- Private Equity Criteria - Search PE Firms based on top-level firm characteristics (such as size or location).
- Firm Investment Criteria - Search PE Firms based on a Firm's stated investment preferences.
- Firm Investment Activity - Search PE Firms based on actual M&A investment activity.
- Firm Portfolios - Search PE Firms based on portfolio holdings.
Section 1 - 'Private Equity Criteria' Search Options
Use the Keyword field to search private equity descriptions or quickly deliver firms by name. If there is a specific private equity firm you are interested in, you can enter it here.
2. Firm Type
Based on how a private equity firm invests, we categorize firms into four possible investor types.
- Private Equity - Investment firms focused on majority/minority equity investments in companies.
- Infrastructure - Investment firms interested in infrastructure assets.
- Mezzanine - Investment firms focused on mezzanine/subordinated debt instruments.
- Private Equity Real Estate - Investment firms focused on real estate.
Note: It is possible for an investor in the Mergr database to fall into more then one category.
3. Firm Size
Firm size is based on a combination of funds under management and the general size of targeted companies.
- Small - Unsponsored or have up to $250M USD under management.
- Middle-Market - Between $250M and $1B USD under management.
- Large - Between $1B and $5B USD under management.
- Mega - Greater then $5B USD of capital under management.
- Generalist - Private equity firms that are sector agnostic.
- Specialist - Private equity firms that are sector specific.
- Funded - PE Firms that have a dedicated PE fund or investment vehicle.
- Unfunded - PE Firms that are unsponsored or do not list having an investment fund.
6. HQ Region
The HQ Region dropdown is a quick way of filtering firms based on an expanded geographic area.
For example, select Scandinavia to deliver all private equity firms based in Norway, Finland, Denmark, and Sweden.
7. City / State / Country
The City/State/Country location fields allow you to search firms based on their primary office location.
8. Include Secondary Offices
If you would like to search firms based on where a firm has an office (not just Primary HQ), select the Include Secondary Offices checkbox as part of your location search.
Section 2 - 'Firm Investment Criteria' Search Options
1. Industry Interest
The Industry Interest dropdown lets you filter PE Firms based on the sectors that Firms will consider investing in. There are 60 sectors to choose from. If you select more then one sector, for example Software andInformation Technology, your result set will deliver Firms with interest in either sector.
2. Geographic Preference
The Geographic Preference dropdown lets you filter PE Firms based on the the geographic regions that a Firm has stated it will consider investing in.
3. Acquisition Type
The Acquisition Type dropdown is a listing of deal types.
Examples include Buyouts, Recapitalizations, Divestitures. If you want to filter PE Firms based on stated deal types of interest, select from this dropdown.
4. 5. Target Company Revenue, EBITDA
If you would like to filter PE Firms based on the stated revenue or EBITDA ranges that interest an investor - enter the appropriate figures here.
For example, entering '10' for Revenue will yield all Firms where 10M USD falls within a Firm's Min/Max Revenue range.
6. 7. Target Transaction Investment Size, Enterprise Value
If you would like to filter PE Firms based on transaction related figures - enter the appropriate figures here. Investment Size refers to the equity/subordinated debt figures and Enterprise Value refers to the value of the entire transaction.
For example, entering '10' for Investment Size will yield all Firms where 10M USD falls within a Firm's Min/Max range for its equity investment size.
Section 3 - 'Firm Investment Activity' Search Options
1. M&A Activity Past X months
If you'd like to isolate PE Firms that have bought and/or exited within a recent period of time (6, 12, 24, or 36 months), you can do so with this filter.
2. Has Co-Invested
If you'd like to isolate PE Firms that have invested alongside other PE Firms (or Companies) on at least 1 transaction - select 'Yes' under 'Has Co-Invested'.
3. Deal Value
If you'd like to isolate PE Firms that have completed transactions within a certain size range - select from the Deal Value dropdown. For example, selecting 'USD 1 B to USD 10B' will yield all PE Firms that have acquired at least 1 company within that range.
4. Transaction Type
If you'd like to isolate PE Firms that have completed specific types of transactions - select from this dropdown. For example, selecting 'Divestiture' will return all PE Firms that have completed a non-core divestiture from a Company.
Section 4 - 'Firm Portfolios' Search Options
Select from the Industry dropdown if you'd like to isolate PE Firms that have invested in certain sectors.
The Keyword field searches the descriptions of all past and current portfolio companies.
For example, entering 'vending' will deliver all private equity firms with a portfolio company that has 'vending' within company descriptions. This field can be particularly helpful in identifying investors that have invested in very specific types of companies.
3. City / State / Country
Isolate PE investors based on geography by selecting or using the City, State/Province, and Country fields. For example, selecting 'Canada' will yield all PE Firms that have done at least 1 investment in Canada.
4. Apply to Current Investments Only
If you're interested in searching PE Firms based on Current or Active investments - select Apply to Current Investments Only.